The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by helix01, Jun 19, 2014.

1. helix01

helix01 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    I am a new user of WHM cpanel can someone please asssit me in this isssue its driving me up the walls...

I have setup two private name servers on my WHM: NS01.xxxxxx.xxx & NS02.xxxxx.xxx

I am able to ping them from outside and dig them and they respond correctly

But when i try to do "host NS02 ip address" it says: Host xxx.xx.xx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

but if i do same with NS01 it works perfectly, for NS01 i have not asked any datacentre what so ever to setup reverse PTR, Server our from OVH and they have given me few Failover IP to use on Server.
    So i am thinking something i am missing on the server for NS02 ?

To carry further :
    I decided lets go ahead and create a new hosted domain for a customer, I went ahead and did that and put the name servers of my WHM everything works again when i went to : mxtoolbox.com and run checks on domain i get :

smtp mail.xxxxx.xxxxx Reverse DNS FAILED! This is a problem.

PTR issues again with this new domain reverse DNS issue, I am really lost with this BIND currently not sure where to create these PTR records to resolve this issue.
    If anyone can put me on right path would deeply appreciate it.....Please i would request anyone who is going to reply to explain in Layman's term for me .

thanks in advance
    New User...

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You must contact your hosting provider/data center and request they setup RDNS for your IP addresses. It's rare that data centers delegate this ability to the server.

Thank you.

3. helix01

helix01 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the reply cPanelMichael, okay if i request them to setup ns02 RDNS, the question how is the NS01 working even both NS are using failover IP and not the main ip of server.
    Second if we have to setup RDNS for each individual domain then how can we run multiple website on single IP without affecting RDNS ?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You typically setup RDNS for your IP address pointing back to the hostname of your server. DNS resolution does not rely on RDNS, but rather RDNS is important for email.

Thank you.

5. helix01

helix01 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it possible if i can show you over Teamviewer ?

----
    So you are saying for all teh ips i have for failover either 5 or 6 i need to point it back to main server hostname ? so my server name is cpanel.xxxx.com i will put this rdns on every single ip.
    Ovh allow you to put reverse dns under failover IP on thier panel i guess that would be the place do ....

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  7. helix01

helix01 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ok thanks Michael, got it sorted in OVH panel there is a reverse entry space which i use and seems to have resolved my issue.