The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tygerfeet, Jan 21, 2006.

1. tygerfeet

tygerfeet Registered

hi!

this may be a VERY stupid question but I'm extremely new to cpanel and I'm not all that literate when it comes to computers so bear with me. I actually have a couple questions but they're askable in one topic so...here we go.

I recently bought some space from www.whole-shebang.com and I'm a little confused about a cople of things.

first of all, I need to make sure the DNS for my domain name is set to:

ns1.whole-shebang.com
    resolves to IP: 72.29.77.49

ns2.whole-shebang.com
    resolves to IP: 72.29.77.50

only...I dont know where to locate the settings for DNS so I cant check it.

also in the support email I was confused about the following:

"Once your DNS has connected, change the hostaddress to:

ftp.DOMAIN

* Change DOMAIN to your domain address.

Also, your domain will be available to view and you will no
    longer need the temporary webaddress."

I'm so lost it's not even funny...if anyone could explain in a really dumbed down way what I need to do I'd be very appreciative

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Take a read thru this tutorial which although dated should be helpful. http://www.webhostgear.com/198.html

Assuming that you don't have access to WHM which is where dns zone info is located, this site will allow you to view the dns setup for your domain.
    http://dnsreport.com

Just for future info, this forum is not the official support channel for cPanel. If you need/want specific cPanel help then contacting your hosting provider is your best bet.

3. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

You will find the option for pointing the domain nameto the Nameservers at your domain registrar.

Once you update the Nameservers then after the DNS propogation your domain name will start pointing to your webhost's server so you don't need to use the temporary web address that usually webhosts provide to their clients so that their clients can access and view their site at their server without the domain name points to their server.

4. tygerfeet

tygerfeet Registered

not to sound dumb...which I know I will anyways but...huh to the below? *lol* I know its not that complicated to comprehend I'm just really computer dumb

"You will find the option for pointing the domain nameto the Nameservers at your domain registrar."

5. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As WebScHoLaR suggested, the registrar where you purchased your domain name will have an interface that allows you to associate the name servers from whole-shebang with your domain.