The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS mail MX records

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jbarrett, Sep 2, 2003.

1. jbarrett

jbarrett Member

Hi Folks
    I have a customer who has a website with cpanel6 I think, anyway. The customer has an Exchange server which manages all the client mail on site. and this has been working fine.

I learnt to my horror that exim the mail software used by the company selling the webspace, wont interface with Echange POP3 connectors to de-queue mail for the insternal exchange users.

I thought I had a way round, (with cpanels help) I created a sub-domain and assigned an A record to the subdomain which was the IP address of the Exchange Server, I assign the sub-domain to the main domain MX record and we had re-direction of mail. I thought.

It seems some mail will go there and some wont and mail I send which is from the same nameserver just dissappears into the ether. other mail comes back un-routable. :(

Any one any ideas on how to set this up :confused:

Regards
    Jerry

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ssilvius

ssilvius Active Member

Whats the mx record entries for the domain?

You need to make sure that the exchange box priority is set 0, all mail will goto it first and try to be delivered. If you have the exim machine still listed in the MX records for backup, set the priority to 10.

If you don't want exim in the picture at all just make sure there is no mx record for that IP address a/c name.

3. jbarrett

jbarrett Member

Hi Thanks for a quick reply.

exch.liftabilityltd.com is a defined sub-domain or liftabilityltd.com

domain www.liftabilityltd.com

liftabilityltd.com 14400 A 64.246.50.51 (IP of website)
    liftabilityltd.com 14400 MX 0 exch
    exch 14400 A 194.164.231.97 (IP of mail echange mailserver)
    www 14400 CNAME liftabilityltd.com

I removed the mail definition incase it was allowing internal mail to be deliverd.

Lots of mail from external/other ISP's seems to get delivered to liftabilityltd and some gets refused by what looks like a reverse DNS issue (which is a seperate issue I think)

The DNS report is fine for liftabilityltd MX and shows exch.liftabilityltd.com with an IP of 194.164.231.97 Voila, spot on.

So I'm sorta out of ideas really.

Jerry