The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS management...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by parasolya, May 7, 2007.

1. parasolya

parasolya Registered

Going to run my first dedicated server new week and I've got a question about DNS.

Where should I put DNS servers (at least 2) for my resellers? One can be dedicated server itself, what about second? Can I use the same server (but with another IP?)

If now, how should I manage external DNS server from my WHM?

How to make external DNS automatically add zones when I (or reseller) host new site?

2. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

You can set the nameservers like ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com with the same IP.

If you need an external dns server to be linked with your server, you must use dns clustering.

3. parasolya

parasolya Registered

You mean point both ns1 and ns2 on the same server?
    Isn't it against DNS rules? NS servers should be situated on different computers.

4. parasolya

parasolya Registered

No one has this problems? How do you manage you DNS if you have only one server, guys?

5. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

The point of having your nameservers on different servers is that if one goes down, the other one can still point people to your server.

But if you only have one server, and it goes down itself, then it doesn't matter where your nameservers are because your server is unreachable anyway.

So you may as well have both nameservers on the one machine.

6. parasolya

parasolya Registered

No. Server can be down for 5 minutes, but DNS clients will cache response (DNS response error) for several days, so 5 minutes of DNS server downtime may have a result - lost a lot of traffic.