joaowall

Registered
Jul 24, 2020
Brasil
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi guys, I currently manage the DNS of some domains on Amazon, however when I add a complementary domain, a DNS zone is automatically created in WHM. In this case, I remove all created entries, leaving only the SOA entry. I would like to know if this practice is correct and if it is possible to disable DNS management for a specific domain.

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I see no reason why you should remove the entries in WHM. As Amazon and your server is not connected together you can leave the DNS entries (A, CNAME etc..) records as they are as they won't matter. One thing to note though that if you use a 3rd party provider for emails make sure you set the MX record to remote instead of local otherwise the incoming emails won't reach you.

Reactions: joaowall and cPRex

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What @andrew.n said - if the nameservers are configured to use Amazon, none of the DNS records on the WHM side of things will matter. You always can delete a DNS zone, but with your situation most users just let cPanel and WHM do their thing and ignore it.

If you're not using the local DNS service you can disable it in WHM >> Service Manager, although the records will still get created on the system for future possible use.

Reactions: joaowall