The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Master and Slave

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by veronicabend, Mar 4, 2010.

1. veronicabend

veronicabend Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have 2 servers running cPanel.

I would like to know if the following can be achieved:

-Set server 1 to act as ns1
    -Set server 2 to act as ns2

-All domains would have ns1 and ns2 as nameservers

-I can add some domains as accounts to server1, and some domains to server 2, and both servers will provide the DNS info for all domains.

This is like making each server be slave of the other. Can this be achieved without causing problems?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
    Veronica

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Yes, can be easily achieved. Setup DNS clustering between the two and sync the zones on either of the servers.

BUT what's the use if one server is down, the sites on that server will be down eventually and also it may make the websites on the running server offline. Like if server1 is online and the name servers of those domains are like

ns1.server1.com pointing to server1
    ns2.server1.com pointing to server2

if server2 goes offline, websites on that server will go offline whatever their NSs are but since ns2.server1.com is pointing to server2, it will also go offline. And because some ISPs cache NS records as well, it will show the websites on server1 as offline even if the server is up and running.

Hope you got the point.

3. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi,

You can do this. However with just two hosting servers I'd recommend you create ns1/ns2 for server1, and ns3/ns4 for server2 and not enable DNS clustering between them, as it's much better not to get your hosting servers syncing DNS zones to each other. That's best done to external DNS servers, where you can then add as many hosting servers to as your needs expand.

Regards,
    Suhail.

4. veronicabend

veronicabend Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help.