The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS MASTER is deprecated, but my Data Centre doesn't support clustering

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by spaceman, Mar 19, 2004.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

I'm caught between a rock and hard place.

Use any DNS Functions in WHM and I get the warning:

"Warning the DNS MASTER system is depreciated and will not be supported in new releases. You should switch to using clustering for DNS."

... but when I ask my data centre for guidance, they tell me that they don't support clustering, i.e. I'm on my own if I decide to switch to it.

I've got 3 dedicated servers running RH 7.2, 7.3, and Fedora. 7.2 is the DNS master, 7.3 and Fedora are slaves.

What's a guy to do? :) Any advice anyone? Thanks.

2. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

You could also gimmick up some scripts, like I've done

3. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

Bailey,
    I meant to reply to this earlier. What we've done is set most of the servers up in a cluster of the primarly DNS. We then set up DNS2 as a completely seperate entity. Should their be a problem, either DNS2 will take over should the master go down or if files become correct, there will still be a good copy on DNS2. It is kind of a PITA as we manually sync DNS and DNS2 to be sure that corrupt data isn't overwriting the good data on DNS2.

4. akashik

akashik Active Member

Exactly, there's no docs on it so far so we're ignoring it for now. The issue right now is when end users addon a domain and they get that message - which gets us an e-mail from them being concerned.. a fucking pain in the ass. ;)

5. DHL

DHL Well-Known Member

The clustering 'Feature' now seems to setup dns zones as master on all servers in the cluster, so no longer are they configured Master/Slave - Master on the primary name server and slave zones on the secondary dns server :confused:

6. Kurieuo

Kurieuo Well-Known Member

I second that. :(

7. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Yes, most likely because most firewalls are non-trivially configured to properly allow zone transfers in this case(cpanel is trying to save itself some support costs) It also prevents some master/slave SOA serial number issues I imagine
    However, it seems to increase the load of updating dns significantly in the one setup I have that uses this...
    It also all but prevents manual editing of dns, you need to script them, so that the secondaries will be properly updated, as there are no transfers by default.

An odd way for cpanel to proceed, yet it just might work better than the alternative, in some cases