The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS "not responding" despite all ports open, all services active.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by rekabis, Sep 20, 2014.

1. rekabis

rekabis Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Got a bit of a strange problem. Most used to Windows DNS server, so this one is a bit mystifying.

Working with CentOS 6.5, latest cPanel, fresh install. My first-ever foray into a control panel. I have DNS servers that are on, with all ports open, responding to telnet, but apparently not responding themselves.

Please check out this link /http://www.intodns.com/kabis.net, from IntoDNS. It provides the bulk of info concerning my problem. An NSlookup gave the following result:

Code:
    C:\Users\rkabis>nslookup 127.0.0.1 ns02.kabis.net
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  209.97.221.22
    I am absolutely baffled as to why the DNS server is not responding, yet it is clearly up and running. Do I take a baseball bat and hit it or something?

#1 rekabis, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It looks like the domain name is now resolving well, except that one of your IP addresses is still not responding. Have you ensured that IP address is added to the server? If so, try running:

Code:
    service ipaliases restart
    Also, try rebuilding the /etc/named.conf file:

Code:
    mv /etc/named.conf /etc/named.conf.backup1
    /scripts/rebuilddnsconfig
    Thank you.