Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS & NS query

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by DrFallen, Aug 20, 2014.

1. DrFallen

DrFallen Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, I just wanted to understand something about CPanel DNS only and name servers.

So I've been using cloudflare for a while now which I have no issues with but I wanted to think about dedicating a domain to use it's own Name servers for the people who use my server to run their own mini webhosting projects as Cloudflare doesn't automatically sync this over I was thinking of using the DNS only but running the DNS Cluster system mentioned here; Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration. So I would have a mini vps running in say US, UK, NL etc.. but with the NS record looking something like;

NS1 : UK
    NS2 : US
    NS3 : NL

Is this a valid option for redundancy the main server would be in Germany but a US would help anyone who was in the US right?

Many thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it would add additional redundancy but using separate countries would only be beneficial in circumstances where there were outages across an entire country. Note the updated document is found at:

Configure Cluster

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DrFallen

DrFallen Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hmm, Thanks Michael. I was more aiming at the fact that I wanted them on different ips/hosts kind of went for different countries for some reason. But I guess if the main box was hit it wouldn't be accessible anyway I guess.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right, with DNS clustering, it provides you with the opportunity to update the DNS records to point the domain name to a different host. If you only have the website hosted on a single server, you won't have an additional server to point it to.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...