Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS-only cluster for non-cpanel webservers

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by netwood, Jul 23, 2015.

1. netwood

netwood Member

Is it possible to create a DNS-only cluster for domains NOT hosted on cPanel servers?

I would need to be able to create new zones directly on one of the DNS-only servers which should then synchronize to the other DNS-only server. The ability to create new zones doesn't seem to be available in "DNS functions" on the DNS-only server. The only option there is to Syncronize records. The ability to create the actual zone record seems to be on the cPanel webserver itself but as I said, the domains are not hosted on cPanel (and it's not possible to migrate them to cPanel).

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could create the zones on the cPanel server without creating accounts, and then synchronize the records to the DNS-Only servers. This will ensure the zone and any edits you make to the zone are synced to your cluster.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. netwood

netwood Member

Interesting!
    Didn't think about that.

Looking at "Add DNS zone" it seems like I have to pick an account to associate it with.
    Should I use "Park domain" instead?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, you can simply select the "root" user instead of parking the domain name.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. netwood

netwood Member

Thank you.