The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Only configuration woes (i.e. not working)

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by sneader, Aug 5, 2005.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can't seem to get DNS clustering working using the DNS only cPanel version. The server does resolve names, but it doesn't think it is authoritative for any of my domains. I get "non-authoritative" answers.

In the example below, blah.com is a domain I host, www3 / 1.1.1.1 is my main cPanel server, and ns4 is the new DNS-only server.

When I try to sync up a zone on the main cPanel server, it says:

Syncing blah.com ....Done
    Bind reloading on www3 using rndc
    Bind reloading on ns4 using rndc
    Error reloading bind on ns4: rndc: get config key list: not found

When I tail the 'messages' file on the DNS-only server, it says:

ug 5 16:56:18 ns4 stunnel[7641]: whmhttps connected from 1.1.1.1:37562
    Aug 5 11:56:19 ns4 named[3689]: received notify for zone 'blah.com': not authoritative
    Aug 5 16:56:20 ns4 stunnel[7641]: Connection closed: 188 bytes sent to SSL, 1108 bytes sent to socket

The documention is a little weak on setting this up, so I very well may have done it wrong.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

- Scott

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

On the DNS only server, does rndc status come back with the status or an error?

If there's an error, run /scripts/fixndc twice.

Did you also sync all the domains from the populatd DNS server to the DNS only server?

3. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On the DNS only server, does rndc status come back with the status or an error? If there's an error, run /scripts/fixndc twice.

When you say 'does rndc status come back with the status or an error' -- I do not know what you mean. How do I see a status or error?

Did you also sync all the domains from the populatd DNS server to the DNS only server?

I think I just discovered the problem! When I looked in /var/named, each domain I had sync'd is showing up there, like blah.com.db. But the DNS is still not talking authoritatively for that domain.

But if I stop/start named, it WORKS !!!!

So, the problem is narrowed down to:

Syncing blah.com ....Done
    Bind reloading on www3 using rndc
    Bind reloading on ns4 using rndc
    Error reloading bind on ns4: rndc: get config key list: not found

That last line is the killer... my cPanel server can't restart bind. Any ideas on that particular error?

Thanks!!

- Scott

4. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Serious??

I won't name names, but I got this reply from cPanel tech support about my problem:

Hi, cPanel's DNS clustering doesn't use the same setup as BIND does for master/slave, so this is actually expected behavior, the sites still work, I'm going to submit this as bug report to try to patch it to work with the authoritive as well, however the DNS should still work fine.

They can't be serious, can they? That it is expected behavior to have your DNS *NOT* talk authoritatively for your domains???

I think the fact that a restart of named solved the problem, and now it works as *I* expected, whether or not it is cPanel's expected behavior!

- Scott

5. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The tech just sent another message saying to run the /scripts/fixndc, just like you suggested Chirpy. When I run it, it says, among other things, that it is "adding key" and so I bet you this is going to solve it... will let you know...

Thanks!

- Scott

6. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's working!!! The main cPanel server can now send updates to the DNS-only server, and then it uses rndc to reload both DNS servers successfully, and after the reload, the DNS-only server now talks authoritatively about any new domains added.

I'm a happy camper!! I've been manually doing secondary DNS on a Winblows server, so this little bit of automation will be very welcome!!

Now, how to do backup mail on the DNS-only server? I'll leave that up to another thread. :D

Thanks chirpy!

- Scott

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Glad it got you working :)

8. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Still unclear...

One thing that is still unclear. On the main cPanel server, under "Clustering" I have "Enable DNS Clustering" on. I have added my DNS-only Server to the cluster and it shows up as "Green" in status. In other words, it looks good.

On the DNS-only server, under "Clustering" I have "Enable DNS Clustering" on. But when I try to add the IP of my cPanel server, I keep getting the error "This operation requires the remote server to be running WHM 6.0 or later. The server reported version". (yeah, it cuts off right there)

So, am I not suppose to enable clustering on the DNS-only server? If not, then why is the feature even there? And if not, this should be mentioned in the installation instructions. Guess I'm confused... but at least it is working!

- Scott

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It ought to work (adding in as a cluster member). That said, if you add it in on one server you should not need to add it in again on the other server as it should be added automatically.