The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Only for resellers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by texo, Feb 24, 2011.

1. texo

texo Well-Known Member

I have two DNS Only servers running ns1 and ns2.myhostingcompany.com for all my shared hosting servers. Is it possible to point ns1 and ns2.resellersdomain.com to the two DNS Only servers for a reseller?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello texo,

Yes, you can point additional nameservers to those ns1 and ns2.myhostingcompany.com nameservers by adding the IPs for the reseller's nameservers to the server and then clustering them in the Reseller's WHM > Configure Cluster area.

Thanks

3. texo

texo Well-Known Member

That's very good news: so I would need to add an additional IP address to each DNS Only server? The IP addresses on the DNS Only can't be used for ns1.myhostingcompany and for ns1.resellersdomain, n1, reseller2sdomain for example?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you use the same IP for both nameservers, then the reseller customers who query the IP will see the PTR record for that IP and can also query the nameserver whois for the IP. They will be able to backtrack your hosting company nameservers as being associated to that IP for the nameservers, which is not the ideal situation for a reseller nameserver to have.

Given that being the case, you can certainly use the same IPs for those nameservers, but if you do re-use the IPs, you'll be allowing your hosting company to be associated with the resellers nameservers on any queries their customers do for the IP addresses. I wouldn't suggest doing that.

5. texo

texo Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tristan, that helps a lot. It does make much more sense to simply add extra IPs to the DNS Only servers for a reseller.