The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dns only install on existing server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dotcomguy, Apr 9, 2006.

1. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Member

Hello, I just recently acquired a cPanel server to use for web hosting. I have another plain linux server which I would like to use for a nameserver so that I have two physically separate DNS servers. I was planning on installing the DNS only version on this other server so that I could synchronize the DNS between it and my cPanel box. However, I am somewhat concerned when I run the installer becuase of the warnings that it might broadly interfere with other system configurations. I understand WHM/cPanel is highly integrated into a system, but all I need is this to manage DNS, nothing else. If I install it, what areas of the server might it affect, or would it really affect any?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

When you use the DNS Only package you should still only install it on a server dedicated to its use rather than an existing server environment already service some purpose. I think the installer is a little kinder these days, but it is likely to mess around with apache, perl, OS updates and obviously bind.

3. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Member

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. :)

I understand and expect it would have free reign with Bind. Do you have an idea of what kind of things it might try to do in terms of apache, perl, and os updates?

I guess I could always back up all my configuration files and give it a try, and reinstall perl if it screws something up. I'd rather not have to go through that, but I would like the convenience of clustering a second DNS server and a dedicated DNS server is not currently in my budget. If I can revert without too much hassle, I'm tempted to give it a try. What do you think, would you risk it? :-p

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you can, you might want to try it out on a dirt cheap server that you can hire for a single month. For example, a plain VPS, or something like:
    http://www.memset.com/miniserver.php

You can then see what is changed and what isn't.

5. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Member

Works!

Well, I decided to go ahead and live on the edge a bit. I started the installer, and had two other Putty windows open monitoring the installation logs to keep an eye on what was going on during the process. All it seemed to do was install some necessary packages via APT and the install several perl modules. The only problem I encountered was when realperlinstaller got stuck. I could tell from the process what modules it was trying to install and installed them myself via CPAN and killed the process to finish the installation.

Then I just had to get stunnel working, and now I'm clustered up and good to go. :D

I'll be sure to post here if I notice any side effects.

6. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

Chirpy -- thanks for the post to the miniserver site. Looks like something I'd want to sign up for as I have a lot of learning to do!

Dotcomguy-- how did you get the stunnel working? We're doing a similar setup and having trouble with that.

Thanks!
    BX

7. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Member

It has been awhile since I set it up, but I don't recall having too much trouble with stunnel. Are you still having trouble?

----------

On another note, I ran into a problem. Everything has been running fine for over a month until now. Suddenly I notice that WHM is not running at all. When I try /scripts/reswhostmgr nothing happens. When I try /usr/local/cpanel/cpsrvd I get an error message, "Unsupported Operating System". I can't find any help anywhere referring to "Unsupported Operating System" and it's really frustrating. Especially because it was working fine until just recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:-/

8. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Member

Okay, well I cheated. After all that hassle, I took a look at cPanelFunctions.pm and `touch /etc/redhat-release` made the error go away. So far things seem back to normal.