Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS Only License clarifications, please?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by twhiting9275, Jan 18, 2018.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Taking a look through this blog post , I have to say that I , and anyone who actually reads the blog post should be very, very concerned here.

What, precisely, is the point in 'licensing DNSonly servers' here? This nonsense is just that, nonsense:

cPanel cannot "ensure that no dns functions fail" if a server is 'licensed' at all. That's not the purpose of a license. That's the purpose of a server admin (which one should have when utilizing cPanel, anyways).

So, what's really going on here? There's only one reason that one would want to start requiring licenses on these devices, and it's not good for those actually running DNSonly... That means that in the future, you're going to start charging for these

You don't need licenses to keep track of things. God only knows you do enough of that.
    You don't need licenses to verify versions of things. That's not the point there
    The only reason you'd start requiring licenses is if you eventually plan on invalidating those licenses, say, because your clients haven't paid up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cPanelBenny

cPanelBenny Community Manager, Development, dog scratcher
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi there! I can definitely understand your skepticism, but I promise that we're not trying to ease our way into charging for DNSONLY licenses. If it were, we'd be open and honest about it. Too, if we were planning to start charging for DNSONLY servers we'd gain nothing by breaking systems that are already in place.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yeah, sorry, but that's not terribly believable. Like every criminal ever who's claimed
    Or any business ever who's been bought out and claimed
    cPanel falls under that category. Of course you're going to deny that you're going to start charging for this, and the like. that's to be expected.

I guess we'll really know the truth when it comes out. There is, however, as I said, no other legitimate reason for requiring a license

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cPanelBenny

cPanelBenny Community Manager, Development, dog scratcher
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Unfortunately, this statement isn't true. We cannot gather the data we need to make informed decisions about the product without licensing the system. I can understand and appreciate your skepticism, though, given how often companies are dishonest and veiled about decisions they make. If you'd like to provide me any direct feedback, feel free to email me: benny@cpanel.net.