The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS ONLY - outgoing email.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by darkfyre1, Oct 16, 2010.

1. darkfyre1

darkfyre1 Registered

Oct 16, 2010

I have a query regarding the DNS only install which I have managed to replicate on stock installs of CentOS 4 and 5.

Upon running the installer script, everything works fine, I can add the DNS server to my cluster etc.

I did, however notice I was not receiving emails from the DNS server so checked the logs to see this error which kept the mail in the queue.

failed to open /etc/userdomains for linear search: No such file or directory
    I looked at my cpanel server and it had a /etc/userdomains which contained one line:

*: nobody
    So I copied this to the DNS server and now outgoing mail works fine.

My question - is this a known bug ?

Also, is it safe to have "*: nobody" in that file on a DNS only server, I dont exactly understand the purpose of /etc/userdomains on a DNS server and am unsure of what security risk I may have created by adding it.

Any input would be useful, thanks.
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The file /etc/userdomains is the one containing the main domains and which users own them. It is not a security risk to have that file or contents in that file in any way.

I cannot state if it is a bug as we would have to reproduce it. Please feel free to submit a bug report using the bug report link at the very top right corner of the forum on the forum home page.