Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS ONLY - outgoing email.

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by darkfyre1, Oct 16, 2010.

1. darkfyre1

darkfyre1 Registered

Hello

I have a query regarding the DNS only install which I have managed to replicate on stock installs of CentOS 4 and 5.

Upon running the installer script, everything works fine, I can add the DNS server to my cluster etc.

I did, however notice I was not receiving emails from the DNS server so checked the logs to see this error which kept the mail in the queue.

Code:
    failed to open /etc/userdomains for linear search: No such file or directory
    I looked at my cpanel server and it had a /etc/userdomains which contained one line:

Code:
    *: nobody
    So I copied this to the DNS server and now outgoing mail works fine.

My question - is this a known bug ?

Also, is it safe to have "*: nobody" in that file on a DNS only server, I dont exactly understand the purpose of /etc/userdomains on a DNS server and am unsure of what security risk I may have created by adding it.

Any input would be useful, thanks.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The file /etc/userdomains is the one containing the main domains and which users own them. It is not a security risk to have that file or contents in that file in any way.

I cannot state if it is a bug as we would have to reproduce it. Please feel free to submit a bug report using the bug report link at the very top right corner of the forum on the forum home page.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...