The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Only upcp and port 2087 problems

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by will_raymo2000, May 29, 2007.

1. will_raymo2000

Two slightly unrelated problems but both very confusing!!

Just installed DNSONLY on a fresh CentOS server and have come across these two annoying issues,

Port 2087 (whm secure) is not working, I just get a time out when connecting. But 2086 works fine.. I have been reading up on this forum and have found out it has something to do with stunnel or cpanels ssl certs. I have generated new certs however the problem is still there so by process of elimination I think it is stunnel.. Any suggestions?

Secondly, when trying to fix the stunnel issue I tried upcp --force and came across another problem, the 4 .'s scrolling at the end of the update.. never end!! It says perlmods or something similar and then just scrolls, and scrolls.. I left it on for hours and hours and still it carries on. Any suggestions on this as well?

Thanks,
    Will

2. Shinichi Kato

Shinichi Kato Well-Known Member

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=52302&highlight=stunnel

3. will_raymo2000

I have tried everything in the forums that contains these problems, adding my version to the stopstunnel script etc etc and none of this is working. Stunnel isnt starting let alone binding to the port or anything.

Any advice??

Thanks

4. sloop

sloop Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I just had this problem with dnsonly on a CentOS 4.5 VPS (openvz). Apparently the dnsonly installer didn't install the stunnel binary or rpm. So I installed the stunnel package, after that it worked fine (/etc/init.d/dnsonly stop ; /etc/init.d/dnsonly start)

So, check to see if you have stunnel installed on your system.

The /usr/local/cpanel/etc/init/startstunnel script shows where it is looking to find stunnel

#4 sloop, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  5. will_raymo2000

Once again Chirpy has worked his wonders on my server and has installed a Beta version of DNSOnly which is amazing and works perfectly!

Send him a PM if you have any problems

6. eNetHosts

eNetHosts Well-Known Member

The 4 ....'s during upgrade could go on for hours and hours depending on your server specifications. If they keep moving and you keep seeing more ....'s it should be fine. They just indicate activity.

It's when they stop that you have a problem.

7. ukrossco

ukrossco Member

Exactly the same

Hi

I've got exactly the same problem.

I ran /scripts/rebuildcpanelsslcrt at the command line as I noticed that the cpanel ssl services wasn't starting and got the following back:

Using random key 225006568
    unable to load 'random state'
    This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
    with much random data.
    Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key
    4068:error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not seeded:md_rand.c:503:You need to read the OpenSSL FAQ, http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
    4068:error:04069003:rsa routines:RSA_generate_key:BN lib:rsa_gen.c:182:
    chown: cannot access `/usr/local/cpanel/etc/cpanel.pem': No such file or directory

Is this something to do with th system not having gathered enough entropy to generate a key? It's a new install into a clean vps build.... the vps doesn't have a /dev/random - isn't that were entropy is usually stored? I really don't know much about this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ross

8. ukrossco

ukrossco Member

Possible Solution

Okay... This sorts my problem at least.

Firstly, I'm on a VPS... so I went to check if everything in the /dev had been provisioned properly by the virtualising environment. Erm... nope... there was almost nothing in there!! So, there was no /dev/random or /dev/urandom from which entropy coul be gathered.

I'm with vpslink who thoughtfully put the makedev binary in that folder for you to add /dev items as you need. I made one for bot random and urandom (not sure which does the job so may as well make two!) and then logged into whm on the server. Reset the Server Certificates / Regenerated the Remote Access Key and reboot the server (just to make sure everything was happy). On reboot, I had to recreate the stuff in /dev again and then was able to log in no using https no problem...

Let me know how you get on (on a seperate issue... I just found out that WHM/Cpanel 11 doesn't work with DNSonly.... grrrr)

Ross

9. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

What kind of VPS are you running on? (Virtuozzo, Xen, etc.)

10. jrehmer

cPanel 11 works just fine with the DNSonly product. I have two cPanel 11 servers and 1 DNSonly server and they all synchronize just fine.

11. ukrossco

ukrossco Member

I'm running DNSonly on a vpslink vps. It's openvz and installed with their centos4 image. After that, I installed Development Tools with yum and installed dnsonly.

DNSonly works with Cpanel 11? I heard that although it showed itself to synch the dns info across the cluster, no information had actually been passed. Can you confirm it really works?

Cheers

Ross

12. jrehmer

As I said, I have two cPanel 11 servers, and 1 DNSonly server, both cPanel 11 servers sync to the DNSonly server just fine. Believe me I would know if the information wasn't synched (total of 1178 zones, with roughly ~75 changes per day).

13. ukrossco

ukrossco Member

Good to hear that... I'm only in the process of setting up a cpanel / DNSonly cluster at the moment but I'll press ahead with the cpanel 11 and DNSonly option I think.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers

Ross