The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Only

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by monaghan, Nov 21, 2007.

1. monaghan

monaghan Well-Known Member

Is the DNS Only version suitable only as a backup DNS for an existing cpanel box or would it be possible to have 2 DNS only boxes running together (no web or email hosting) and give the customer access to change their DNS records?

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

DNS Only version is basically for the centralized administration of DNS only. Its implementation is really useful when you have multiple hosting servers and you setup a DNS cluster between hosting servers and DNS Only server. In that case you will not have to run named on each hosting server and DNS Only server will be responsible for all the DNS management.

If you want to allow the users to change the DNS records, then you need to setup Resellers and then you can allow them to modify the DNS zone files that belong to their users.

3. monaghan

monaghan Well-Known Member

Can you create/update the zones by API or is the DNS only just designed to be a slave DNS system to an existing cpanel box?

I have a few different requirements, firstly would be to seperate cpanel boxes with DNS each using 1 or more DNS only boxes as slave DNS. I would also like to use the DNS Only boxes as slave DNS for a non-cPanel box and finally I'd like to be able to host just DNS