The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Only

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by nerdzoll, Feb 29, 2008.

1. nerdzoll

nerdzoll Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    have a couple of questions about dns only.

I am currently running CPanel under a VPS and would like to run DNS only on my main server (so that if the cpanel server goes down I still have the dns running).

I am wondering tho, is DNS Only free to use if you have a Cpanel VPS licence on another server. And also, how tightly does DNS only integrate with the OS. I mean, if I want to remove it later is it possible or would I be looking at a rebuild.
    Many thanks
    Stuart

2. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    DNSonly is completely free, and you can install it on either a dedi, or VPS.

3. nerdzoll

Hi SoftDux thanks for that. And is it easy to uninstall at a later date or does it integrate as tightly with the OS as the full Cpanel does (i.e. when you want to uninstall CPANEL they recommend you just rebuild the OS, i would prefer not to do that if I want to uninstall DNS only at a later date).

Many thanks
    Stuart

4. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'd suggest if you want DNS only, then set it up on a VPS on the server, that way if you don't want it, then you just delete the VPS :)

5. nerdzoll

HEya SoftDux,
    Thanks for the idea, of course, I have other VPSs running so I can just run it on one of those (a s it is unlikely that I will ever need to take both offline at once).

You smart fella you. Thanks dude
    Stuart