The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Problem (Lame and RNDC)

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Mysteerie, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Mysteerie

Mysteerie Well-Known Member

I’m having trouble setting up a second server, with DNS. The main domain is on the first server, and I added “A” records for NS3 and NS4 on the main domain. I added them at my registrar for my domain.

I also setup the nameservers on the second server. Add an “A” record on the second server. Though when I switch a domain over to the second server it won’t load the domain.

I checked the domain on dnsreports and it’s reporting that it has “Lame Nameservers”, also my rndc connection is refused when trying to reload named and rndc.

Of course I researched first, and tried all the fixes out there on the boards, but none seem to do the trick. I’m on a Fedora Core 2 box.

If you want a domain to check on dnsreports, check neogenecys.com. I really having a hard time, any help would be appreciated.

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The rndc error will have to be fixed before your dns will function properly. When restarting named/bind you should see reference to a serial number similar to this in WHM: zone "domain name"/IN: loaded serial 2004042726

There have been a number of threads on fixing the rndc error for instance:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=34071&highlight=rndc+error

3. Mysteerie

Mysteerie Well-Known Member

Yea I figured that would be the case. I actually tried those fixes in that thread (and other fixes in many other threads). Still doesn't seem to want to work.

Could it be possibly because I don't have the main domain on teh second server? Just using WHM to create the A names on the second server on the DNS.

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not likely as bind/named should start normally with only a localhost entry. Have you tried running DNS Cleanup in WHM? Another choice may be to re-install Bind.

This has been a continuing problem for so long with new servers that a permanent fix should have been instituted by now.

If you are the cPanel license owner then putting in a ticket may be the fastest resolve.