The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Problems?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by CowMix, Feb 7, 2005.

1. CowMix

CowMix Registered

I seem to be having problems with my dns, it is never fully up. One second it will work and another second it won't. This happens with subdomains too while the main server is up, sometimes even some subdomains work while others don't at the sametime. I'm almost ripping my hair out trying to fix the problem.

I noticed some dns errors on this site:
    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=www.nanashi-fansubs.com

anyone know how to fix the errors?

I set the dns over a week ago, so I don't think its an error with just giving dns time to work.

Also when I try using the ip to access the site when the url appears to be down it works, so its not website problems.

#1 CowMix, Feb 7, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

yep, you have dns issues... the most notable error seems to be that you don't have names associated with your nameservers... or rather, it seems that you may have your A records backwards... ie, the ip address where the name should go and vice versa.

it's supposed to look something like:

Code:
    ns1     14400   IN      A       123.234.567.89

3. rublind

rublind Member

ns1 or ns1.domainname.com ?

Anything wrong there? And should I also post ns2?

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Looks fairly twisted. Not meaning to step on dezignguy helping you out. Name servers don't require zone files but name servers do require "A" records in the zone for your domain in this case rublind.com.

5. rublind

rublind Member

Uh... I'm confused. So we just need rublind.com. and ns1 and ns2 in there? Because cpanel created these when I was trying to add the name servers.

6. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes. If you want to look at a tutorial that will help try this: http://www.webhostgear.com/11.html
    The only correction is that the /etc/resolv.conf doesn't use 127.0.0.1 anymore but instead the main/virtual IP of your server.

7. rublind

rublind Member

Uh, I'll take a look at it.
    I noticed that whenever I try and update cPanel and it tries to download some .cpanelsync, that never ever works. Do you know how to fix that too?

Thanks.

8. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can't say that I do but likely that dezignguy, when he comes back around, can help you out.

9. rublind

rublind Member

I think I did most of the stuff that the guide told me, and dns report is still complaining about something.

10. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Double check the zone file entry for ns1 as you have an IP shown (67.159.5.118) not ns1.rublind.com

11. rublind

rublind Member

In manage nameserver IPs, ns2.rublind.com is there, and the ip for ns1 but I dont' know how to replace that with the nameserver, becuse when I try to add ns1.rublind.com it complains and when I try to remove the ip it also complains .What do I do?

[I have ssh access, in case it's required]

12. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Best route now would be to edit the files using SSH.
    Sent you a PM.

13. dezignguy

paste in any of your entries that relate to your nameservers... I'm still wondering if they're somehow reversed.

Sawbuck is correct... all dns info should be inside the domain's zone file... including the server's hostname and the nameservers. So you should move the nameserver information into the domain's zone file and delete any subdomain zones. Sometimes cpanel gets confused when you first set things up and you don't have the main domains zone file setup yet... so it creates a zone file for the server's hostname, and it seems that it may also do that for the nameserver's as well.

Where are you making these changes? I should think that you may just be able to edit everything from the DNS Zone Editor in WHM (which it doesn't sound slike you're using because it shouldn't complain about much)... but if you got things backwards (Ip instead of hostname) earlier in the nameserver setup then you should probably just delete everything and start the creation of your nameservers over.

14. rublind

rublind Member

I am using the editor in WHM. And it's not complaining anymore, but the problem is that sometimes the dns works, and sometimes it doesn't. The site is occasionally down for some subdomains but not others.

I'll paste three nameserver things, the main site, and the two nameservers.

ns1.rublind.com:

ns2.rublind.com
    nanashi-fansubs.com
    Let me know if you need anything else, and sorry for the delay, I had to go somewhere for a bit.

15. dezignguy

ahh ok... you've now fixed the reversed A records for your nameserver's... the hostname is no longer the ip address. That ought to help a lot.

But your ns1.rublind.com and ns2.rublind.com zones should actually be in the rublind.com zone, as was said earlier. You just need the nameserver's A records in the rublind.com's zone, and can remove the nameserver's zones.

Other than that, things look reasonably ok.