The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Propogation Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by comcage, Nov 27, 2003.

1. comcage

comcage Member

This question pertains to cPanel/WHM.

Hello. I'm a new customer to the ev1 family and have a question regarding my DNS servers. I went through the very nicely put together dns tutorial on these forums but I ran into one problem.

The dns servers I want to use are ns1.comcage.com & ns2.comcage.com which are currently assigned to my my old web server. I did however manage to change these to the new ip's and will have to propogate for around 24-72 hours. I did this through my registrar.

So when I go through the tutorial and try to add ns1.comcage.com & ns2.comcage.com it says it's already assigned to my old dns servers.

My question is, I'm switching all of my files tonight so they are already on the new server (this process I do know what I'm doing), and want to make it so when my dns are finished propogating that it doesn't display 404 errors.

Basically, what I'm saying is there is nothing I can do for the dns servers in WHM until my registrar updates first correct? And once my registrar finishes updating, and me not having my dns servers setup, all my sites will experience a window of down time correct? Is there an alternative to this? Is there anything I can do proactively to make sure that minimal downtime is experienced? Thank you in advance.

2. deltawolf1

deltawolf1 Registered

Yes, i had the same problem, but just let 24 hours pass from time you've updated Nameserver IPs, then click add A record for them. It should show your new IP. 12 hours and your good to go.

3. LordJMann

LordJMann Well-Known Member

If its saying that the nameservers already have IPs on them use this to manage the nameservers on your server via SSH:

pico /etc/nameserverips

Set the IPs for the nameservers in there, example:

1.0.0.1=ns1.domain.com
    1.0.0.2=ns2.domain.com

Then once your nameservers have resolved, or when you click on the add A entry, make sure the IP is finally correct, then add them.