The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Question: How do I?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by axishost, Oct 6, 2003.

1. axishost

axishost Active Member

I am wanting to have one main server and then give out subdomains to that domain - but these subdomains would be on multiple servers. In addition have multiple full domains on the server - which already works. The subdomain part is what I need advice on. Example..

www.domain.com => server1
    sub1.domain.com => server2
    sub2.domain.com => server3
    sub4.domain.com => server4
    sub5.domain.com => server3
    www.domain2.com => server2
    www.domain3.com => server5

Is it possible to have all these servers share dns entries - or is this sort of setup possible in cpanel? If you know if this is possible or how to do it I would appreciate the help :)

Jeremy

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear axishost,

This cannot be done using Cpanel. You can create the subdomains manually by adding the virtual host entry in httpd.conf (server2 for sub1.domain.com). Then you can make the subdomain to point to that particular server IP by adding the entry in the zone file using Edit DNS Zone(domain.com) option in WHM.

Regards,

3. ptez

ptez Active Member

Ever try CName at DNS?

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

If each subdomain.domain.com is going to point to a dedicated IP address of it's own then all you have to do is make an A entry for the subs in the DNS zone for that "domain.com" and point each to the proper IP. Dosn't matter what server they are on really. The web traffic will work .. not sure what will happen to mail.