The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Iberian, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Iberian

Iberian Registered

I'm a cpanel and DNS newbie, so I bet this is an easy question for most of you.
    I'm currently using my registrar DNS services to point my domains to my shared and dedicated IP's. Do you think Is it much better to run my own DNS server?
    Anyway, I've been testing it using one of my registered domains, ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com, but registrar reject them as dns servers, I've been told that I need to register this new domain server with them. Is this a common situation?

About hostname, to changing it to myhost.mydomain.com is so simple as updating the field or not all domains can be used?

Thanks in advance

2. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

1. For every name servers that you wish to use, you will need to register it before you are allowed to use it in your domain registrar as the name server and yes, it is a common thing.

2. Hostname will not affect much on your hosted domains but it will reflect your Cpanel license as well as name resolving during email transaction and rDNS.

3. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

If you like your registrars DNS service, have access to making the proper record changes when you want and they have reliable servers in more than one location, then why not use their service?

I use DNSMadeEasy for my DNS services. Distributed service, reliable, run and maintained by professionals, better security, flexible, does DYNdns, and has 100% uptime guarantee. It also allows me to take name service out of the loop if I can't get to my server--something else is going on as the DNS always resolves. One less (crucial) step in troubleshooting.

If your registrars service lacks any of the above, you might want to consider running your own. Just my thoughts...

4. Iberian

Iberian Registered

thank you tweakservers and dafut, your info has been very useful.