Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS questions

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by inteldigital, Apr 26, 2018.

1. inteldigital

inteldigital Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi,

I recently moved hosts to Digital Ocean and setup cPanel/WHM on my own. I want to use custom nameservers, however I am having real difficulties getting it to work. I don't know where I am going wrong, I have followed the tutorial pinned at the top of this section of the forum and others but nothing is working.

Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong here?

I am trying to use example.uk as the hostname and name server domain,

ns1 - ns3.example.uk if anyone wants to use DNSinfo to decipher what the heck is going on.

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 inteldigital, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @inteldigital

regarding:
    This won't actually work as intended. The hostname needs to be something that is not used anywhere else on the server and it should be a subdomain like server.example.uk or web.example.uk it shouldn't be a root domain which you're using as a site.

Because the domain name isn't included here we can't do that but you can. Let us know the errors you get at DNSinfo (removing your actual domain name of course.

We also have the following step by step guide to creating your own nameserver in our documentation which might be helpful for you as well: How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. inteldigital

inteldigital Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi Lauren,

Sorry, to clarify I am using the correct hostname format something.example.uk I managed to setup the nameservers and everything seems ok now, I think it was a propagation issue. At first I tried to set up vanity nameservers using my datacentres DNS, however I opted to run my own DNS with PowerDNS in the end.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @inteldigital

I'm really happy that everything is working as intended now! Please let us know if you encounter any further issues.

Thank you!