Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS record where mail & web on dif servers

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by jeffmckelvey, Jun 21, 2007.

1. jeffmckelvey

jeffmckelvey Registered

I am running WHM 11.1.0 cPanel 11.4.12-C14007 REDHAT 7.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0 and need to change the DNS records and I have not been successful with my changes.

I am trying to leave my current server as the mail server. I only want to send the web traffic to a different server. When I changed the a name record to the new IP and set the second field of the MX record to the IP of the current server, the web traffic moved as I wanted, but the mail seemed to be lost.

What do I need to change in the DNS record to allow for this scenario???

2. RizyDeWino

RizyDeWino Well-Known Member

Do not set the MX record to IP , rather set it to mail.yourdomain.com and point mail.yourdomain.com to the current server IP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jeffmckelvey

jeffmckelvey Registered

I changed three fields only. I changed the a name for the domain to the new IP for the new server. I changed the mail cname to the IP of the currnet mail server and I changed the second field on the mx record (the first has a zero) from domain.com to mail.domain.com and it did the same with the mail. Going into a black hole somewhere. Even when I try to send mail from another domain on the same server, it disappears.

4. bin_asc

bin_asc Well-Known Member