The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS records expired

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Worelock, May 12, 2010.

1. Worelock

Worelock Active Member

Hello all,
    I have a really nasty problem that i am hoping someone can help me with.

I moved a heap of domains from one server to another in 2009 and every one of those domains was given a new SOA Serial of 2004042401.

It would appear that the DNS records for these domains have now been removed from nameservers around the would and it is causing major issues with mail.

When I try to send email to many domains I am getting errors like this (i have changed the email address to something not specific)

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

blah@blah.com.au
    The mail server could not deliver mail to blah@blah.com.au. The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper DNS entries.

It is also stopping incoming mail from external domains being received.

I have been and checked the server ip has not been black listed at http://www.mxtoolbox.com and it is not listed anywhere.

I have been and updated the serials on all the domains on the server and restarted bind, external dns reports are now showing the updated domain SOA info if you check ozyhosting.com (main server domain) at somewhere like dnssniffer.com the domain looks fine.

Is this something that is just going to take time to filter through? Or is it another issue that I need to be looking at?
    And is there a way that you can update all the DNS records on a server with out having to go and do each one by hand?

This is doing my head in if anyone can help it would be really appreciated.

Cheers
    Paul

#1 Worelock, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. Worelock

Worelock Active Member

Clients are starting to call me now a bit irate.
    I need to try and get this sorted out.

A test email send from gmail shows the following.

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550-Verification failed for <blah@gmail.com>
    550-The mail server could not deliver mail to blah@gmail.com. The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries.
    550 Sender verify failed (state 14).

550 Sender verify -- looks like a problem on my server not being able to verify the incoming mail server address? Is that correct?
    If so how do I fix it?

Cheers
    Paul

3. thewebhostingdi

thewebhostingdi Well-Known Member

You can check the email logs for the exact error message while sending email. You can get the logs at /var/log/exim_mainlog. And also make sure that the recipients email address is valid.

4. Worelock

Worelock Active Member

I think I have rectified the problem.
    I had added a nameserver line in the resolv.conf pointing to my own namesever because when the DNS records where removed the server was not even resolving local domains.

I removed that line and everything is now working again.