The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS records, MX and CNAME

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by assemkh, Dec 30, 2010.

1. assemkh

assemkh Registered

Hi,
    I have a domain and host with cPanel. I want to use a service from Windows Live called Windows Live Admin Center (WLAC) at:
    https://domains.live.com/

I have registered the domain in the site, but the site asks me to add MX and CNAME records to the DNS in order to use the service. WLAC provided me the entried to enter in the records. For MX record, the provided entries that should I add to MX record are:
    •Host: domain.net
    •MX server: 535669182.pamx1.hotmail.com
    •TTL: 3600 or 1 hour
    •Priority: 10 (or High priority)
    But when I went to add these on cPanel, I didn't find the exact fields and values to fill the information, there is only:
    - Priority:
    - Destination:
    and I don't know what to fill in these spaces. Does the Destination field is for MX server provided above?

Second, the CNAME record entries provide by WLAC are:
    •Host: 535669182
    •Value: domains.live.com
    But when I went to DNS Zone Edition on cPanel, I didn't find these values and found these:
    - Name:
    - CNAME:
    So where can I put the provided values above (Host, Value) in cPanel in order to create the CNAME record?

Anyone can help?
    Thanks in advance.

2. usman43

usman43 Member

There are number of options you have to do this. Before I explain each of them , I assume you have cPanel and following features are available to you in your cPanel.

- 'MX Entry' at cPanel > Mail
    - 'Simple DNS Zone Editor' at cPanel > Domains
    - 'Advance DNS Zone Editor' at cPanel > Domains

1- From cPanel > Mail > MX Entry , you would only be able to create MX record and set its priority , entry would be like

Priority: 0
    Destination: 535669182.pamx1.hotmail.com

But you would not be able to create CNAMES or set TTL there.

2- From cPanel > Domains > Simple DNS Zone Editor , select the domain name from drop down menu and CNAME entry would be like

Name: 535669182
    Cname: domains.live.com

Here you would not have any option for MX edit or TTL.

3- From cPanel > Domains > Advance DNS Zone Editor , you can create MX record , CNAME and set TTL as well. It has two additional blocks than 'Simple DNS Zone Editor' , a drop down menu to select record type and TTL.

In any other case open a ticket with your host and they will do it for you.