DNS records not propagating

DGarrett

Registered
Jul 6, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I have a client who (I believe) is on a reseller account. I've been tasked with setting up Mailgun for one of his clients - something I've done dozens of times on other hosts. Create an entry in Mailgun, get the DNS entries, add them to the records for the domain, wait an hour, set up plugins, etc.

It's been 96 hours now, twice as long as it could possibly take, and the records still won't show up. The values aren't invalid (They've correctly been put in with quotation marks).

We have these entries that are already working (Each color is a different value)
cpanel1.jpg
And these values, which don't show up.
cpanel2.jpg

I'm at a loss at this point. The only thing I can think of is the seemingly overlapping TXT record for example.com that could conflict with the record for mg.example.com, but I'm unsure how to prevent conflicts there and none of the new records are showing up at all. Even if the TXT record was overriding, at least the MX records or CNAME should show up, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I'm at a loss at this point. The only thing I can think of is the seemingly overlapping TXT record for example.com that could conflict with the record for mg.example.com, but I'm unsure how to prevent conflicts there and none of the new records are showing up at all. Even if the TXT record was overriding, at least the MX records or CNAME should show up, right?
Hello @DGarrett,

I recommend opening a support ticket so we can take a look at the affected server and see why the changes applied to this domain's DNS zone are not propagating. You can post the ticket number here once it's opened and I'll link this thread to it.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @DGarrett,

The screenshot you provided suggests you are limited to Reseller access. As a reseller, your first step should be to report the issue to your reseller hosting provider. Your provider will have root access to the server, which will enable them to take a closer look at the DNS configuration (and the nameserver logs). Let us know the outcome once you receive a response.

Thank you.