The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Redundancy Question

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by eliteds3, Jul 18, 2007.

1. eliteds3

eliteds3 Registered

Ok, so Im not really a noob, but this is a noob question.

First the question, then the background:

If I setup DNS clustering between two servers running cpanel (NOT the dns only version) will it replicate all DNS zones from one server to the other and vice versa?

Both servers are populated with aprox 40 or so sites and probably 60 or so zones.

Will it delete any zones? Will it mess up any zones? can I somehow make a backup of the zone data only? like on my other non cpanel servers the data is all in db.xxx.com files under a chroot directory, is it like that on cpanel too?

I am primarily worried that, somehow i will lose zone data or they will go down and not come back, and both are standalone dns servers right now, so yeah that would be bad.

I dont really have another server, or the time to devote to setting up the DNS only version again, I had that setup a while ago for other cpanel servers.

2. Frimon86

Frimon86 BANNED

I dont think it will delete the zone, is this your first time doing a dns red cluster? Normally what I think happens is you will lose a little bit of zone data when they are setting up but once they are configured then you should be alright, this is my though.