The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Redundancy Questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bigdessert, Oct 26, 2007.

1. bigdessert

bigdessert Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    We have a 1 server setup. Right now all dns, web, and email are hosted from this single box.

We wish to bring in a server2 and have dns cluster setup, this would also host mirrors of email and web sites from server1.

What i want to know is what is the best way to setup the DNS cluster/nameservers?

would it be pointing to server1 dns pointing to server2 dns?

if that is the case and lets say server 2 goes down, wouldnt that mean the 50% of hits to the web site would be denied as ns2 is down? The reason i ask this is that to my understanding nameservers do not have priority, they are randomly hit.

I am trying to provide some small bit of redundacy.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2004
    inside a catfish
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You'd only have that problem if the machine with the nonworking DNS had Bind (named) listening but not responding authoritatively.

If, for instance, ns1 was down (unreachable / offline completely / unplugged), ns2 would be queried for the data.

If ns1 was up and named was running (but for some reason misconfigured and not answering queries in the way that it should), then you'd have a problem where some people would be getting proper responses to queries and some would not.