The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS scenario - question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Ashi Oni, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Ashi Oni

Ashi Oni Member

Howdy:

Lets say I have a WHM/cPanel server named bob.domain.com and want to add a second server to the domain.com, lets say joe.domain.com.

What what do I need to make happen for this to work?

I have physically setup both servers. They both seem to work, except the second server, "the newest" one seems to be having problems with reverse DNS.

Example of the reverse DNS issue: I'm sending warning/alert emails from the newest server to an account on the first server and errors show up like "host lookup did not complete"

I have gone to my registrar and setup ns1.domain.com, ns2.domain.com for the first server (which works) and ns3.domain.com, ns4.domain.com for the second server and its not working.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Granted I'm not supplying a world of info, but maybe someone sees there is a step I missed or something...

Thanks for any and all help...

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

What are the name servers assigned to the domain domain.com? If they are

ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com

and they are pointing to your first server, edit the DNS zone file of domain.com domain under

and enter an 'A' record for joe.domain.com to point to the new server IP. The entry should look like