The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Server problems

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by wired420, Sep 12, 2012.

1. wired420

wired420 Active Member

So let me explain what I'm trying to do.

Basically I host one or two high risk clients for DDoS on my own personal server I use for various reasons. I had to do an OS reload the other day so I had the bright idea since I was getting all new IPs to keep the main adapter IP a secret. I haven't used it in setting up the server at all.

Basically what I want to accomplish is to be able to null route any IP on the server that gets attacked without ever having to make the server inaccessible. Now I've got everything setup but it appears cPanel doesn't care for me not having the main adapter ip as the host. I've set the ip for shared ips, made an A entry for the host name, and even made an PTR record for the server name. But I get an email once a day.

Code:
    IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.

The hostname (subdomain.domain.com) resolves to 66.xx.xx.1. It
    should resolve to 66.xx.xx.205. Please be sure that the contents of
    /etc/hosts are configured correctly, and also that there is a
    correct 'A' entry for the domain in the zone file.

Some or all of these problems can be caused by /etc/resolv.conf
    being setup incorrectly. Please check that file if you believe
    everything else is correct.

You may be able to automatically correct this problem by using the
    'Add an A entry for your hostname' option under 'Dns Functions' in
    your Web Host Manager.

I've updated /etc/hosts with the correct info. The only reason this is a problem is, that in this state, it takes 2 to 3 hours for DNS entries to update, when its normally seconds.

Main IP is in a different range than what I want as usable ips. So this could be a big security advantage for me in being able to really separate out customers.

There any work around for this anyone knows of?