The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS server usage question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by abubin, Sep 12, 2005.

1. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am currently using DNS server from my webhost. I would like to start configuring my own DNS server but I would test it out with only 1 or 2 sites first before making it live. Can I know would enabling DNS/bind in cpanel causes any problem to the sites that I do not want disturbed? Any precautionary steps to done?

Thanks in advance.

2. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

If u have nameservers registered for ur server..then start BIND on ur cpanel server and change the domains child namservers from domain control panel and create proper zone files for those sites thats it.

3. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

aren't those zones already being created when I create accounts in WHM? I just need to enable BIND and then create some nameservers right?

But my question is, I want to test it out to make sure it's working fine before implementing it into other sites. Is it possible and will it screw up anything?

4. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

Enableing bind may cause the following problems,

Failed Local delivery of email, due to MX records in your Real 3rdparty DNS servers being different than the local ones.

Because your server will look at your local DNS records before it resolves the names from your other DNS servers, just be careful how you do it. If you have never used or Setup DNS on cpanel, go grab a demo of cpanel throw it on a server, and play with it there, don't try to set it up on a production grade server for the first time.