The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS servers are not in the same TLD as domains - should I care?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by spaceman, Apr 4, 2007.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2002

We're a small Australian web hosting company, but we use a .com address for our name servers. The vast majority of the websites we host end in .au (for Australia).

This results in (at least) the following warning message when running a DNS Report for all of the .au sites we host:

So I hear what they're saying - "you can speed up the connections slightly by having NS records that are in the same TLD as your domain." - but what do others think? Other than changing this line of the report from a WARN to a PASS, is it actually worth the minor hassle of changing my nameservers to be .au instead of .com? Will anyone actually notice? Have I made our hosting any more robust and/or easier to maintain if I do this?

Thx for your comments.
  2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It doesn't mean anything much ... if you had nameservers, the top-level servers would hand out the IP addresses of your nameservers when asked about the domain. This saves a DNS lookup to find their details and might make the very first visit to a webpage a little faster. Not a biggie ...

In terms of making anything easier to maintain - probably not. A domain is a little more manageable than a .com, that's about it I think!