The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dns setting with redundancy

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by adapter, Dec 8, 2004.

1. adapter

adapter Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2003

i have 3 server:

server 1:
    host the name that i have register the nameserver ns1 and n2 that point always on the box

server 2:
    i have add the dns zone with ns1-ns2-n3-n4-ns5-ns6

server 3:
    i have add the dns zone with ns1-ns2-n3-n4-ns5-ns6

i have add in for the (that i use for namserver) all six the dns

now if the server 1 go down, will go down also server 2 and 3?

what can be a good solution to have a good Dns redundancy?

maybe this?

thank you
  2. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Try the DNs clustering in WHM , it would create a degree of redundancy , if the servers were on different networks ( or less so in subnets) If all zones on server 1 were synced with server 2 and/ or 3 , then a failure on anyone of bind (no problem), network( no good if you dont have a miiror, web site down, but mail may queqe) or server ( no good if you dont have a mirror , web site down, but mail may queqe) would allow the other server (s) to send the zones when requested

In your example if the zones are NOT on each (dns) server , then you would get an error for each domain that has those nameservers You must have the domain zones on each dns server (if the domain is not in etc/named.conf it does not exist according to DNS requests)

Working with an external DNS host requires a very good memory ( if you have a lot of domains on these servers ) and perhaps a lot of manual additions and editing , it may work best for individual domains Clustring may be the best option in your case

* Re read your post , if you are talking about only one domain ( which is replicated on 3 servers) , then yes that domain should stay available if 1/2 servers fail (providing they are not all effected by an outage)
    #2 sleuth1, Dec 8, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2004