The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Setup - Initial Server Setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tonyxp, Feb 10, 2004.

1. tonyxp

tonyxp Member

Please verify if the steps I'm doing is right or wrong:

I just got a dedicated server with a block of ips.
    I'm going thru the initial setup for this server.

1. The server has IP: xx.xx.xxx.190

2. I change the Hostname from some initial value to myowndomain.com (which I have registered and point to some temp. DNS)

3. I want to setup the Primary Nameserver & Secondary Nameserver so I went to the registrar and setup NS for myowndomain.com using 2 out of the block IPs allowed.
    NS1.myowndmain.com -> xx.xx.xxx.191
    NS2.myowndmain.com -> xx.xx.xxx.192

Questions: In step 2 I said myowndamain.com is point to same temp. DNS. Can I now change the DNS of myowndomain.com to point to the to NS servers I just created in step 3? Any problem here?

4. In the WHM I enter value as following:

Primary Nameserver: NS1.myowndomain.com and click assign ip address; it then says ip xx.xx.xxx.190 has been assign :( Why it use the main ip of my server? Is this correct? Should I then need to change to this ip in the registrar?

Secondary Nameserver: NS2.myowndomain.com then click assign ip address; it then says no more ip available to assign :( How come? I have a block of 10 and have not used any?

Please help!!!
    Tony

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have done as you say, expect to have problems.

When you order a Dedicated Server you usually provide the Hostname for the Server and the Server is setup to use it. To then change it through WHM will definitely cause problems.

You have it backwards for Nameservers. They are created (setup) on a Server and then Registered with a Registrar.

Using WHM to setup specific IPs for Nameservers is not something I recommend. Better to do this through Shell. And you've run out of IP's because the IPs you were given are not yet bound to your Server.

In all honesty, you might want to hire someone for ServerAdmin purposes, at least to get you up & going. Or lean heavily on your DC if the Server is managed.

3. tonyxp

tonyxp Member

Will you be able to help me on this initial setup? How long and How much would you charge me if you walk me thru this initial server setup?

My MSN: Tonyxp@msn.com
    MY AIM: TonyKeBuiDoi

Thanks
    TOny

4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Tony, I have sent you a PM. I only use Yahoo Instant Messenger for IMing.

5. tonyxp

tonyxp Member

Hi Rob,
    I replied your PM with my YIM
    Tony