The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Setup Over Multiple Servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cfaice, Jun 1, 2004.

1. cfaice

cfaice Registered

DNS Setup Over Multiple Servers

Hi all,
    I’m thinking of dabbling a little in website hosting as I would like to offset the cost of running my own site on a dedicated server.

I have always been one to use the name sever for the company which is hosting me, but now I have the option of using my own DNS.

To being with (I think the following is correct), I know that i would need to add the IP addresses of the server to my name server entries. That seems simple enough to do as I have direct access to that.

What I would like to know, what will I need to do if I use more than one server? As I assume I cannot have an infinite list of IP entries under my name server.

The sever(s) will be using cPanel which I have got light knowledge of, as I have self taught myself over the past couple of months using a few items.

Will I need to use the cPanel to administer the DNS somehow?

Any help would be great.
    Craig.

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

You would need to setup the DNS clustering with WHM. Each server you would also need to setup as a name server and this is easily accomplished with just doing the setup from WHM. You will then need to setup the resolv.conf with the primary as your main DNS server and the secondary as your second server. All of these steps can be accomplished from within WHM>

3. cfaice

cfaice Registered

Thanks for the reply.

It seems easy to do, so when the time comes i will post for support if needed :)