The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by highdesign, Jul 16, 2010.

1. highdesign

highdesign Registered

CPanel newbie with two semesters of Linux. Comfortable with command line. Install CentOS 5 snd Cpanel successful. Hard time wrapping my head around which name serververs to use during OS setup. Was supplied two from ISP with static IP. Registered my own nameserver with registrar using static ip provided by isp. Sites do not resolve. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many hours spent on this.

2. StuartMacfarlane

Hi,

The nameservers provided by your ISP may either be for pointing domains to OR for use as recursive lookup nameservers on your server.

If you want to create your own nameservers you need to go to your domain provider and request information on how to create glue records, these will then point back to the IP's of your server.

As an example:

Domain: mydnsdomain.com
    GlueRecord 1: ns1.mydnsdomain.com -> 10.10.10.10
    GlueRecord 2: ns2.mydnsdomain.com -> 10.10.10.11

Obviously replace mydnsdomain.com and 10.10.10.1* with the relevant information.

Any problems feel free to PM me for some remote support.

3. xTremeLearner

xTremeLearner Registered

Thanks the response helped me too. :)