The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by acis, May 12, 2004.

1. acis

acis Registered

Hi I am newbie for this Cpanel. My company doesn’t provide any support. I need your help to setup DNS. I would appreciate if you could help me. I am unable to any find docs how to setup DNS. I have hopping to get help from you.

Here is an example. Let say I have a domainone.com and Linux Red hat 9.0

Hostname: secure.domainone.com
    IP: 10.10.10.10

Additional Ips 10.10.10.11 and 10.10.10.12

I have registered my ns1.domainone.com [10.10.10.11] and ns2.domainone.com [10.10.10.12] DNS in domain register.

• How do I setup primary and secondary DNS?
    • What should be in /etc/resolve.conf /etc/hosts,
    /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 10.10.10.11
    nameserver 10.10.10.12

/etc/hosts
    66.79.187.10 secure.gorkhali.net secure
    127.0.0.1 localhost

I got this error

IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    The hostname (secure.domainone.com) resolves to. It should resolve to 10.10.10.10. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by
    /etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you believe everything else is correct.

You may be able to automatically correct this problem by using the ' Add an A entry for your hostname ' under ' Dns Functions ' in your Web Host Manager

Please, Please guys help me

Thanks
    ACIS

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Adding the A record as suggested by WHM should take care of the error.

3. acis

acis Registered

Thanks edewing replay

I added domainone.com account and edit domainone DNS Zone then I added secure A to 10.10.10.10. Still I got this error

IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email. The hostname (secure.domainone.com) resolves to . It should resolve to 10.10.10.10. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by
    /etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you believe everything else is correct.

You may be able to automaticly correct this problem by using the ' Add an A entry for your hostname ' under ' Dns Functions ' in your Web Host Manager

Thanks
    acis

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you use in WHM under "DNS Functions" the 4th entry to "Add an A entry fro your hostname"? Sounds like maybe you did something else?
    Only other suggestion would be to have someone look at your setup or post the zone file from WHM.