The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Setup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by eng911, Mar 1, 2006.

1. eng911

eng911 Member

I am new to Cpanel and just now in the process of setting up my first server.

I have been thinking about DNS and need to know how this works in Cpanel. In talking to users it seems that most just do DNS on the server itself. If you only have one server then this provides no redundancy at all.

If your server goes offline not only will your email bounce but you will not have any access to change any DNS settings. This could be a big problem if as an example your DC runs into major issues, loses it's connectivity or closes suddenly.

Now if you rely on a third party managed dns service then you lose the automation that normally happens in Cpanel. I assume this is not an issue for those who have multiple servers. If I read correctly they can use one server for primary and antoher for secondary and still retain the automation functions that occur.

Can someone discuss this with me? Remember I'm new to Cpanel so a basic rundown of how things work would be great.

Prior to this I've had dedicated servers but the DNS was always done by the NOC and the control panel was proprietary. When I added a domain in the panel the DNS was automatically updated with the information. If I needed MX records I had to email DNS Support. They would fix that up. I had private nameservers that basically pointed to the hosts DNS servers but gave me some distance from their identity.

Can anyone walk a new guy through how these issues are best resolved for a single server with Cpanel? Also how would it work if I did have two servers (always an option)

Thanks in advance..

2. eng911

eng911 Member

Anybody? Anybody?

3. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are a number of strategies to handle redundant DNS capability. On a single box you can investigate using secondary dns services. There are many available such as dnsmadeeasy.com or zoneedit.com.

With multiple servers you can use the dns clustering options available in cPanel which also can provide backup email service.

DNS is one of those subjects that has many variables and doing some reading/studying on it will give you some insight on how to best proceed for your own situation.

4. WhatsYourDomain

connecting to DNS server that does not have cPanel installed

I want to control an already running dns server pair that does not have cPanel on it.

It is possible?

I want the zone files to be edited when someone changes say there sub domains or mx record from within cPanel.