The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Sharing multiple problems, getting rediculous

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by porcupine, Aug 6, 2003.

1. porcupine

porcupine Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ok,

First off, I've opened numerous bug report submissions over this, but nothing seems to get done, no replies, no resolves, nothing.

We have 4 CPanel servers currently for reseller accounts (www2, www4, www5, www6). All of them share DNS with www4 being the master (because at the time it was all setup, it was the first of two boxes).

Here are some of the issues we've been running across:

- Users add/delete addon domains, DNS zones do not properly create (no DNS zone, no edit to /etc/named.conf, nothing), or create on the slave they are on, but not on the master (or vice versa)
    - Users add/delete subdomains, they simply do not get added anywhere it seems, yet cpanel indicates the subdomain added fine, and shows that in the users control panel but adds no DNS entries (in either subdomain.domain.com.db, or domain.com.db)
    - Slave nameserver updates a domain (from a CPanel/WHM action lets assume), increments the serial by several numbers, the master does not pick up the zone, thus the box in question with the higher serial keeps the proper DNS information, none of the rest do.
    - Sometimes DNS information does not want to update at all (you have to restart bind to get it to spill across), /scripts/dnstransfer works for domains that do not yet exist on a slave system, but not for updating existing ones it seems.

All servers are in the same Data Center, all in the same timezone, all running the same os, etc. etc. etc.

We have working DNS sharing across all these servers if you modify the domains by hand, it seems to work just fine, or if you do so in WHM under the Edit DNS functions. My frustration comes from this new bug reporting system, as i've submitted at least a dozen tickets on various issues, and only ever gotten a reply to one, at least with the old bugtraq you could find the status of your ticket, etc. etc.

I think we all pay enough for CPanel (esp partner NOC's with < 175 liceneses, when special deals have half the competition running around with liceneses 1/2 - 1/4 our pricing), these problems are not limited to one cluster of shared DNS servers, they happen on many customer ones, please allocate a developer to look at these.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. porcupine

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Oh, and one more:

- CPanel seems to enjoy adding subdomains (that or the user is doing it incorrectly) as "subdomain.domain.com.db" in /var/named, instead of including them in domain.com.db like they *should* be doing.

3. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd go manually view those files, and then go edit the above statement.

Cpanel does not make subdomain.domain.com.db for each subdomain. It inserts it into the correct file. So, either it's something up with your box, or it's the user doing it... Since I checked all my DNS zones and they all are correct. Nothing has failed for me here.

You can do subdomain.domain.com as a real account in Cpanel and that is what the user may be doing.

Now, for the other post above I don't know what to do about, but will be eagerly watching since I have two cpanel servers now, and need to know how to properly setup sharing. Thanks.

Brenden

4. porcupine

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I've checked, and it has been creating subdomain.domain.com in some instances, not all, but they keep popping up here, esp when the users attempt to setup subdomains through CPanel it seems (users who don't have access to DNS functions in WHM notably).

I've noticed that on some servers, I have to run /scripts/fixnamed and it fixes the problems with the socket not connecting, I come back a few days later, and BAM, same problem all over again for no apparent reason. This seems to be whats throwing off a lot of the sharing between the slaves and master server.

Also, when updating records on the master server, I just had to completely restart bind on each of the slaves to get them to pick up the changes from the master (notably with the higher serial number on the DNS zone in question).