The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Slave, or Stub zone? Please Advise on best course?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by MianoVision, Jun 21, 2006.

1. MianoVision

MianoVision Member

Hi there! I'm embarrased to say I have no idea how to implement this, so I'm hoping someone here might.

We have a client whose web page is to be hosted on our server, but at the insistence of their I.T. manager he wishes to retain DNS and other records. He advised us to setup a slave, or stub zone, but I have no idea how to do so in WHM/Cpanel. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks!
    Tony

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If they're retaining their own authoratitive DNS then all you need to do is to ensure that you delete any zone created for their domain(s) in WHM > Delete Zone.

3. barwin

barwin Active Member

stealth master dns server

But what if you want to actually set it up as a Slave zone in cPanel and allow the client to run a stealth master server that updates the cPanel zone. That is, they run an internal DNS server in master mode and we run the public nameservers, but in slave mode and the WHOIS info still lists us ... will cPanel overwrite the custom settings in named.conf or will they be retained?

Thanks