The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Solution Separate Email and Web Domain Servers?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by netmation, Dec 4, 2015.

1. netmation

netmation Member

Can someone please give me some guidance on how my situation would best be setup. I currently have my domains registered at a registrar. Half of them I use the Registrar Name Servers to forward the web address to another domain. The other half I set the name servers for ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com. These name servers are setup for me in a VPS account on a Linux Server for web page and email. A few of my domains that are on the VPS server I want to have the web page traffic go to a Windows based server at another physical location, while the email would stay on the Linux VPS account.

Thus my first questions would be….

Should I be creating a ns3.mydomain.com, ns4.mydomain.com at the Windows Server location?

Should a change be made to the A record or what other changes need to made on my VPS account?

Should I be looking at a service like ZoneEdit to properly set this up?

What server is the first to get routed to; web server or email server?

Thank you…

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will need to edit the "A" and "MX" records for the domain name so they point to the correct locations, but there's no requirement on where to host the DNS for the domain name.

Thank you.