The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Sync Not Working

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by rapidot, Jun 25, 2007.

1. rapidot

rapidot Active Member

Use the Synchronize DNS Records button under WHM

2. jonwatson

jonwatson Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have recently been troubleshooting what I thought was a nameserver failover issue. I have two servers, both running full blown WHM. The first one is dns1 and the second one is dns2. I've been noticing that when dns1 fails, all my DNS fails.

I've done some digging today with the help of DNS Stuff and slowly came to realize that the named.conf files on each server were not in sync. There are a handful of zones on dns1 that don't exist in the dns2 named.conf file.

I've manually copied these zones over and now everything seems to work as desired, but I'm not clear why this happened.

On each server, I have the other one set up as a cluster with the proper remote access key and I have them both set to synchronize.

It seems that all of the zones I have created since bringing the second server online are in both files, but most (perhaps all, not really sure of the time frame) of the zones that were on the first server prior to bringing dns2 are not in the the dns2 named.conf

Is there some way to force a replication from one server to the other to ensure that the named.conf files both contain all the same zones?

I'm hesitant to just copy the dns1 named.conf to dns2 because I'm not all that DNS savvy and don't want to mess it up.

Thanks

3. jonwatson

jonwatson Well-Known Member

Oh, ahem.

WHM -> Synchronize DNS -> Synchosize All.

Just ignore me.