Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS synchronisation between WHM and non-WHM server

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by kornaz, Apr 11, 2006.

1. kornaz

kornaz Member

Hi,

I have this server running Cpanel/WHM and 2 remote nameservers for the domains hosted on the Cpanel/WHM box. Of course, nameservers run named only, no Cpanel/WHM software. Is it possible to create a DNS cluster with all these 3 servers? The Cpanel server should act like a master server of the cluster (all the changes/new zones are made here, using Cpanel/WHM). One more thing - only those two other nameservers are "the official ones" - the domains are registered with them. I could use rsync ( ns1 <-- WHM --> ns2 ) of course but I wonder if it's possible to do it "the Cpanel way".

Thanks in advance.

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    goto downloads and grab the dns only install script and install it on both your name servers

make sure and backup your named data

/etc/named.conf and /var/named

install the dns only and add those machines to the cluster and then you have syncro of zones across all 3 machines with the cpanel server controling them

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jpeacock

jpeacock Member

just curious, but do you need to have a cpanel license for the nameserver only cpanel?

4. danf

danf Active Member

Can the DNS-only install be put on a non-cPanel machine? That is, we have a server that already has some accounts, and the only cPanel-related thing I want it to do is DNS.

When I start the setup, it gives me the nasty warning that it should be put only on a fresh server. I can't take the chance it will wipe out all my configuration.

5. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

No license is necessary.

6. dinfiesta

dinfiesta Well-Known Member

I have to Download WHM DNS Only?

Can I do it for example with just bind installed?

Thanks.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you do that, you'll have to setup a traditional master/slave DNS setup with bind and maintain the zone entries in named.conf on the server with bind. The advantage of the DNS-Only server is that new zones are automatically transferred from the cPanel server as both installs of bind then are effectively masters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...