The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS synchronisation between WHM and non-WHM server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kornaz, Apr 11, 2006.

1. kornaz

kornaz Member

Hi,

I have this server running Cpanel/WHM and 2 remote nameservers for the domains hosted on the Cpanel/WHM box. Of course, nameservers run named only, no Cpanel/WHM software. Is it possible to create a DNS cluster with all these 3 servers? The Cpanel server should act like a master server of the cluster (all the changes/new zones are made here, using Cpanel/WHM). One more thing - only those two other nameservers are "the official ones" - the domains are registered with them. I could use rsync ( ns1 <-- WHM --> ns2 ) of course but I wonder if it's possible to do it "the Cpanel way".

Thanks in advance.

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    goto downloads and grab the dns only install script and install it on both your name servers

make sure and backup your named data

/etc/named.conf and /var/named

install the dns only and add those machines to the cluster and then you have syncro of zones across all 3 machines with the cpanel server controling them

3. jpeacock

jpeacock Member

just curious, but do you need to have a cpanel license for the nameserver only cpanel?

4. danf

danf Active Member

Can the DNS-only install be put on a non-cPanel machine? That is, we have a server that already has some accounts, and the only cPanel-related thing I want it to do is DNS.

When I start the setup, it gives me the nasty warning that it should be put only on a fresh server. I can't take the chance it will wipe out all my configuration.

5. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

No license is necessary.

6. dinfiesta

dinfiesta Well-Known Member

I have to Download WHM DNS Only?

Can I do it for example with just bind installed?

Thanks.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you do that, you'll have to setup a traditional master/slave DNS setup with bind and maintain the zone entries in named.conf on the server with bind. The advantage of the DNS-Only server is that new zones are automatically transferred from the cPanel server as both installs of bind then are effectively masters.