The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS trouble after server move

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by trout21, Jun 6, 2005.

1. trout21

trout21 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I moved server - and everything went well - apart from the fact now I can't change the nameservers set in WHM from the standard ones of my NOC to my own. Every time I try I get:

"Zone xxxxx does not exist, a new zone for xxxxxxxxxxxxx will be created.
    Sorry, a DNS entry for xxxxxxxxxxxx already exists, please delete it first Add Complete"

But am unable to delete anything - and or alter the settings for the IPs either - they just return the same when I try and delete them and re-assign. Have even SSH'd in and been in /var/named to play around - but still to no avail!

Does anyone know how to amend this problem? All websites are finding a time delay when uploading and or connectino problems with FTP - which I am putting down to this problem?!

Thanks for any reply
    trout

2. trout21

From all my poking around, I know now that I have "No NS A records at nameservers" from checking again on dnsreport - though this was complete before apparently from the same report *sigh* ...

Where can I manually edit this from SSH? Everything I've tried so far doesn't appear to make the change in WHM...

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

All you should have to do is edit the zonefile through WHM for the domain that your name server is on, i.e. ns.domain.com and add an A entry for ns.domain.com to the relevant IP and repeat for any other nameservers. If you edit the files in /var/named manually you have to remember to increase the SERIAL number in the zone file otherwise it won't replicate.

4. trout21

Thanks again Chirpy... you're a mine of information :)

I will edit the zone files .... this should then alter the nameservers in the "edit setup" section ? The thing that stumped me was I can't see any reference to the NOCs nameservers - the ones that I am unable to replace...

Typically in line with sods law I'm behind a firewall at the moment that won't allow me to access ported sites - so can't log into my new WHM panel ... will have to wait till later on.

Thanks again.
    trout

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member