DNS trouble after server move

trout21

Apr 2, 2004
Hello,

I moved server - and everything went well - apart from the fact now I can't change the nameservers set in WHM from the standard ones of my NOC to my own. Every time I try I get:

"Zone xxxxx does not exist, a new zone for xxxxxxxxxxxxx will be created.
Sorry, a DNS entry for xxxxxxxxxxxx already exists, please delete it first Add Complete"

But am unable to delete anything - and or alter the settings for the IPs either - they just return the same when I try and delete them and re-assign. Have even SSH'd in and been in /var/named to play around - but still to no avail!

Does anyone know how to amend this problem? All websites are finding a time delay when uploading and or connectino problems with FTP - which I am putting down to this problem?!

Thanks for any reply
trout

trout21

Apr 2, 2004
From all my poking around, I know now that I have "No NS A records at nameservers" from checking again on dnsreport - though this was complete before apparently from the same report *sigh* ...

Where can I manually edit this from SSH? Everything I've tried so far doesn't appear to make the change in WHM...

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
All you should have to do is edit the zonefile through WHM for the domain that your name server is on, i.e. ns.domain.com and add an A entry for ns.domain.com to the relevant IP and repeat for any other nameservers. If you edit the files in /var/named manually you have to remember to increase the SERIAL number in the zone file otherwise it won't replicate.

trout21

Apr 2, 2004
Thanks again Chirpy... you're a mine of information :)

I will edit the zone files .... this should then alter the nameservers in the "edit setup" section ? The thing that stumped me was I can't see any reference to the NOCs nameservers - the ones that I am unable to replace...

Typically in line with sods law I'm behind a firewall at the moment that won't allow me to access ported sites - so can't log into my new WHM panel ... will have to wait till later on.

Thanks again.
trout