The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS trust to clustering

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by charlesb, Mar 23, 2004.

1. charlesb

charlesb Registered
    PartnerNOC

Is there a how-to anywhere on how to switch a group of servers using DNS master-slave trust relationship set up in cpanel to a cluster?

I've looked at http://www.cpanel.net/docs/dnsclustering-quickstart/ already, and while it's pretty clear, it doesn't say anything about what would happen if you already had a trust relationship set up.

Any information on this topic would be helpful.

2. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

I did it.

I just set up the clustering as described and then went to each server that used to be a slave and removed the ip of master from the Master Nameserver field in the setup options. I have been running that way for about 2 weeks with no problems.

3. portman

portman Well-Known Member

I am going to profess dumbness here on this one. I have been toying DNS Clustering for a few hours and have about had it.

Granted maybe it is I want it to work a certain way and it doesn't do it the way I want. :)

I am starting with just 3 servers:

dns1.dnsshed.com
    dns2.dnsshed.com

dns1 is the pure dnsonly CP install. dns2 is a current full CP deployment.

pinckney.dnsshed.com is another full CP deployment.

What I want to do is be able to add accounts to pinckney and have the DNS Zones created on dns1 whoch would then propagate to dns2.

Once I get that working all our other CP servers will create accounts per pinckney and we will add dns3.

Is this how DarkOrb intended this to work? Do I need all servers in the cluster? or just dns1-3? What do I need to do on the "reporting" servers to make them send to the primary (dns1)?

Clearly I am missing some important aspect of understanding!