The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS with no hosting question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kers7754, Jul 24, 2014.

1. kers7754

kers7754 Active Member

I use WHMCS and sell hosting, domain names, etc.

When a customer orders hosting with a domain, cPanel correctly provisions on payment and my DNS cluster is correctly updated to reflect this change.

But when a customer orders just a domain (no hosting), the domain is updated with the correct name servers, but WHM never knows about this domain.

So that means that there are no DNS records for this domain. If a customer wants to point the A record of this new domain to another hosting provider, then I have to do a bunch of manual steps to get this to work.

Is there a way that DNS zones can be created for a domain (new or transferred) without provisioning a hosting account? Or is there a way to create a hosting account (no cpanel access) with a single "Customer has not set up his hosting account yet" page?

How is this normally handled?

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Your ordering system has nothing to do with cPanel - even if you are using WHMCS, which I'm guessing you are. WHMCS processes a domain-only order as a registration, not a hosting plan. There are some registrar module that will do this though. What registrar are you using?

3. kers7754

kers7754 Active Member

I guess what I would like to happen is that if someone orders a domain from me (without hosting), WHM should create a DNS entry and point to a default page.

For example, if I order a domain only from Go Daddy, I believe they assign the domain to a parked nameserver and a default page is displayed at their domain. When they order hosting, the nameservers are updated correctly.

This seems like a common scenario; does that make any sense?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please ensure you submit questions or concerns about WHMCS to their official support forums:

WHMCS - Support Forums

There are dedicated WHMCS staff members there to answer all threads just like we have here on the cPanel forums.

Thank you.

5. kers7754

kers7754 Active Member

I understand... my question is not with WHMCS, but a general WHM process question.

Assume this situation: a customer purchases a domain only (in whatever system with whatever registrar). I would like the domain to have a DNS entry with my cPanel DNS cluster even though they didn't provision a hosting account. That way they could manage their DNS with me even if they host at another hosting company.

I am asking for possible ways that others have accomplished this with WHM.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can create a DNS Zone on a hosting server connected to the cluster via:

"WHM Home » DNS Functions » Add a DNS Zone"

Thus, the DNS zone is then synced throughout the cluster. Note that you would have to create a cPanel account if you want a user to have access to the "Simple DNS Zone Editor" and "Advanced DNS Zone Editor" options in cPanel.

Thank you.

7. kers7754

kers7754 Active Member

I guess I never thought of that simple solution! Since the new domain already defaults to my nameservers, I can just manually create a DNS entry in the cluster. And since this doesn't happen often, I can deal with the manual process for now.

Thank you Michael!