Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS woes

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by baidarkabob, Oct 1, 2003.

1. baidarkabob

baidarkabob Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I am muddling my way through setting up a server with WHM 8.4 installed. Old server was trashed so I repointed to new nameservers on this box. I am unsure how nameservers should be set up and I could have screwed things up with my trial and error tactics. I have used "modify resolver configuration so that it looks like this:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver "IP of ns1.myhost.com"
    nameserver "IP of ns2.myhost.com" ---see anything wrong with this?

I have used checkdns.net to see if things are working and this is what gets returned:

"Asking root servers about authoritative NS for domain
    Got DNS list for 'critterweb.org' from tld1.ultradns.net
    Found NS record: ns2.critterweb.org[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], was resolved to IP address by tld1.ultradns.net
    Found NS record: ns1.critterweb.org[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], was resolved to IP address by tld1.ultradns.net
    Domain has 2 DNS server(s)

Verifying if NS are alive
    Error fetching SOA from ns2.critterweb.org [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Connection reset. Probably DNS server is offline.
    Error fetching SOA from ns1.critterweb.org [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Connection reset. Probably DNS server is offline.
    0 server(s) are alive
    No DNS servers alive, tests stopped "

Not sure where to go from here. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 baidarkabob, Oct 1, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  2. baidarkabob

more details...

The question may be moot - I don't know. I only changed the DNS yesterday morning.

I am moving from one server to another. I wanted the transition to be smooth so I set up the second server with all the sites from the first before I changed the DNS. What is confusing to me is that about 12 hours after I changed the DNS the sites on the old server stopped showing up but they did not start showing up on the new server. Is this normal? Is there a lag between when the old nameservers stop and the new ones pick up?

OR is this a sign that the nameservers are not set up correctly on the new server?

Again, any insight would be appreciated.

Bob

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. baidarkabob

I do not think it is a propagation issue. It has been over 48 hours and i am still getting - Error fetching SOA from ns1.critterweb.org [216.55.169.177]: Connection reset. Probably DNS server is offline - In the meantime I switched all but one site back to the old machine and they are all working again. Propagation in this direction only took 12 hours from where I am - at the end of a satellite dish - usually about as slow to see changes as anywhere.

Any suggestions for things I should check to make sure the nameservers on the new server are working/setup properly?

Thanks,

Bob