The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS woes

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by baidarkabob, Oct 1, 2003.

1. baidarkabob

baidarkabob Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I am muddling my way through setting up a server with WHM 8.4 installed. Old server was trashed so I repointed to new nameservers on this box. I am unsure how nameservers should be set up and I could have screwed things up with my trial and error tactics. I have used "modify resolver configuration so that it looks like this:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver "IP of ns1.myhost.com"
    nameserver "IP of ns2.myhost.com" ---see anything wrong with this?

I have used checkdns.net to see if things are working and this is what gets returned:

"Asking root servers about authoritative NS for domain
    Got DNS list for 'critterweb.org' from tld1.ultradns.net
    Found NS record: ns2.critterweb.org[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], was resolved to IP address by tld1.ultradns.net
    Found NS record: ns1.critterweb.org[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], was resolved to IP address by tld1.ultradns.net
    Domain has 2 DNS server(s)

Verifying if NS are alive
    Error fetching SOA from ns2.critterweb.org [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Connection reset. Probably DNS server is offline.
    Error fetching SOA from ns1.critterweb.org [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Connection reset. Probably DNS server is offline.
    0 server(s) are alive
    No DNS servers alive, tests stopped "

Not sure where to go from here. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 baidarkabob, Oct 1, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  2. baidarkabob

more details...

The question may be moot - I don't know. I only changed the DNS yesterday morning.

I am moving from one server to another. I wanted the transition to be smooth so I set up the second server with all the sites from the first before I changed the DNS. What is confusing to me is that about 12 hours after I changed the DNS the sites on the old server stopped showing up but they did not start showing up on the new server. Is this normal? Is there a lag between when the old nameservers stop and the new ones pick up?

OR is this a sign that the nameservers are not set up correctly on the new server?

Again, any insight would be appreciated.

Bob

3. baidarkabob

I do not think it is a propagation issue. It has been over 48 hours and i am still getting - Error fetching SOA from ns1.critterweb.org [216.55.169.177]: Connection reset. Probably DNS server is offline - In the meantime I switched all but one site back to the old machine and they are all working again. Propagation in this direction only took 12 hours from where I am - at the end of a satellite dish - usually about as slow to see changes as anywhere.

Any suggestions for things I should check to make sure the nameservers on the new server are working/setup properly?

Thanks,

Bob