The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS woes

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by valain, Jan 13, 2004.

1. valain

valain Registered

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating cPanel, and I am happy so far, except for the DNS management which I somehow can't get running correctly in my test environment.

There are two involved servers.

192.168.0.250 is a Redhat 7.3 running bind 8 and supposed to be the primary nameserver.

192.168.0.242 is a Redhat 9.0 running cPanel (latest version, downloaded and installed yesterday) and thus Bind 9.

Zone files for new accounts/hosts are being created on this primary nameserver (192.168.0.250) correctly, and named is restarted after the new zone has been created; so far so good.

On the WHM machine (192.168.0.242) though, whenever I want to "sync" the DNS entries with the primary server, the script adds this to the /etc/named.conf file of 192.168.0.242:

Code:
            allow-transfer {
                    192.168.0.242;
                    };
                    192.168.0.242;
                    };

These lines are added to a zone that has been created beforehand on the primary nameserver and that is not used at all through WHM on the secondary nameserver.

Obviously, the syntax of this is very wrong and makes named refuse to start properly again. Regarding the restart of named on the slave/WHM server, I have to do it manually; shouldn't the slave DNS server reload/restart automatically after adding a new zone, like the primary does?

Anyway, what causes these wrong syntax entries? Where can I fix it? I feel at ease with 'hacking' the configuration files manually, as I already did ...

Thank you for your ideas.